The purpose of this page is not to enumerate any and all scenarios that may take place as student-athletes and coaches relate to the St. Louis Park Track & Field program. In our experience: it is impossible to plan for everything, there are always some aspects of policies that go overlooked, and it is only human to look for loopholes and ways to take advantage of verbiage to either gain an advantage for an individual or hinder another. Therefore, this page should be viewed as a list of guidelines and precedents that have been set by the Head Coach. Ultimately, decisions are made on a case-by-case basis at the discretion of the Head Coach, and these policies are subject to change at all times.
Student-athletes are expected to be in good standing both academically and with the Track & Field team. This includes attendance, grades, and discipline. All student-athletes are expected to abide the following:
- Student-athletes will not have any unexcused absences throughout the school day. If a student-athlete has more than half of a given day marked as some form of an excused absence, it is not expected that they be at practice that day. Conversely, if a student-athlete is not excused absent from any part of the school day, they are expected at practice. If a student-athlete has unexcused absences from a class, a meeting with the head coach will be required.
- Student-athletes will be present at all required track & field practices, unless communicated to and accepted by a coach.
- Student-athletes will be present at all meets and participate in all events in which they are entered, unless communicated to and accepted by a coach.
- Student-athletes who are failing any class are required to submit a signed note to the head coach within 48 hours of meeting with the head coach regarding the failing grade. The note is to affirm that the student-athlete has communicated with the appropriate teacher and a plan has been made to provide for the student-athlete's improvement in said class. If no note is received, or a period of two weeks passes without improvement in the student-athlete's grade, the student-athlete is ineligible to participate in practices and meets, until an improvement in the grade is confirmed by the head coach.
- Student-athletes will not be involved in any disciplinary infractions not limited to: academic dishonesty, substance abuse/possession, violence, bullying, or harassment. The same goes for incidents outside of the school day.
Student-athletes who meet any of the following criteria in a given season will be awarded a varsity letter in Track & Field:
- Three-year participant in consistent good standing with the team.
- Participate in at least three varsity-only meets/invitationals.
- Be selected for the Metro West Conference Championships lineup.
- Be selected for the Section 6AA Championships lineup.
All student-athletes who complete the season in good standing will be eligible for captaincy. All team members will have the opportunity to anonymously or publicly voice their recommendations for the following season's captaincies. The Head Coach will then select captains based on number of nominations, strength of character, and success in an interview with coaches.